How the GOP led House is working for America
January 17, 2012
We have had the House of Representatives ruled by the GOP for over a year now. I thought it might be instructive to review their year of inaction. This list is by no means exhaustive and I’m sure someone else could better research and document the year in review. My point in doing this is that this congress began with John Boehner yelling ‘where are the jobs?’ Did that yelling help your job search?
Here is what the GOP really wants to spend their time on:
- In God We Trust
- Terminate taxpayer voluntary funding of presidential campaigns
- Repeal the Health Care act
- Eliminate funding for NPR and PBS
- Install a statue of Gerald Ford in the capitol
- Terminate the Emergency Mortgage Relief program
- Terminate the FHA Refinance Program
- Eliminate tax funds for Planned Parenthood
- Defund provisions in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care act
- Prevent the EPA from addressing climate change due to greenhouse gases
- Refuse to continue funding the government and jeopardizing the bond ratings of US Treasury bills.
- Eliminate rules concerning the use of pesticides near water as regulated in the Water Pollution act
- Deregulate clean air rules for oil drilling and refining
- Fund non public elementary charter schools and CIA pensions
- Eliminate financial transparency for the judicial branch
- Balanced budget amendment to the constitution
- Further deregulate Wall St
- Defang rules established by executive order
- Allow increases to payroll taxes
Don’t get me wrong, while I am opposed to most of these provisions, I am ambivalent to a few of these. Back to my point though, where is the major jobs creation bill that was proposed and debated on the floor of the House?
Like I said, this is not an exhaustive list. I think I forgot to include the ‘Improving the golf handicap act of 2011’.
- EPA Under Fire from House Republicans (indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com)
- Top GOP policy issues at a glance (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Gutless: House GOP asks Homeland Security to review EPA air rules (junkscience.com)
- Senate GOP Responds To Democratic Jobs Bill By Proposing To Cripple The Government’s Ability To Regulate (thinkprogress.org)
- IHCIA Passes Despite GOP Abortion Controversy (indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com)
- GOP’s Draft Budget Empowers Insurers To Flaunt Consumer Protections, Increases Health Costs (thinkprogress.org)
- GOP Senators Want Supercommittee To Repeal Healthcare Law, Tackle Tort Reform. (bewellinsurance.wordpress.com)